Friday, July 11, 2014

The Life of an Actress: Gretel Scarlett

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Australian actress; Gretel Scarlett



Here's what she shared with me.....

What is your current role?
I play Sandy in the Australian Tour of Grease the Musical.
It has been really fun. We get to perform to a different audience every time. The current musical is great because it is a mix between the movie and original stage show, and all the songs from the movie are included.

What made you get into acting?
I was really into performing as a young girl and my parents saw this in me and decided to nurture it by providing me with opportunities where I could do what I enjoyed.
 I remember when I was 12 years old someone asked me what I wanted to do with my life, and I answered "I want to go to WAAPA", they were like, "what is that, a burger from hungry jacks?". It is the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts. I was a research queen when I was young, so I had looked this place up and I knew that, that was where I wanted to go.
I ended up going on to attend WAAPA and completing a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Musical Theater. I was one of only 18 people that they take in each year. The course went for 3 years, it was intense, we are basically locked away for 3 years and are trained in all areas of performance from acting, to dancing and singing. 

What are the opportunities that have opened up for you so far? 
I feel that my career is not based on luck, rather it is accountable to a lot of hard work. After graduating I got a role in Breast wishes, Mama Mia, and Wicked. These were great experiences. I was then asked if I wanted to renew my contract with Wicked, which I decided not to, I thought I would take a risk and see what else was out there. The risk really paid of because I then landed the role of Sandy in Grease the Musical. Before this role, I had mainly only had small supporting or ensemble parts, so this was my time to step out into a lead role.

Throughout my career I have traveled all around Australia and parts of Asia, including Singapore and South Korea. It's so nice getting to perform to so many different audiences.

I've met a few famous faces along the way including Hugh Jackman (he was so grounded!), Burt Newton, and Todd McKenney. It's been so great to meet industry professionals and talk about their lives as performers and hear about all of their experiences. I was having a chat with Burt Newton (who is also performing in Grease) and he was telling me about when he was on TV before colour TV was introduced!

Gretel performing in Grease the Musical
Who and/or what inspires you?
Professional life wise; Burt Newton, he is a theatrical legend, he has so much history, he's such a lovely man, he loves his work and he is always on his A game, this is the 3rd year I have worked with him and he is so inspiring.
Personal life wise; I am really into sharing the message of living a healthy lifestyle and supporting women's rights, so I am inspired by people on Instagram who also share this message, an example would be Jessica Smith (she is a Para-Olympian who is behind 'join the revolution' promoting positive body image) also Jennifer Hawkins who works hard sticking up for women's rights

I am an avid user of Instagram and twitter, and it is inspiring to me to be able to share my life with my audience, as well as get inspired by others doing great things.

What beauty products can you not live without? 
One product I love is the Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat Foundation Pen. It can be used as a foundation, concealer and/or highlighter. It's great for getting rid of puffy eyes, because Sandy can not look like she had a late night! I also can't live without the they’re real mascara by Benefit, it's great for day and night!

What is you current beauty regime?
I have very sensitive skin so less is more for me. In the morning I wash my face with the Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and mosturise with an organic baby moisturiser, which has manuca honey in it (I found it in a little organic shop). In the night, I remove my make-up with the Derma Blend make-up remover, cleanse with the Cetaphil cleanser and mosturise with the same baby moisturiser.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
At the moment I want to build my profile in Australia or go to the West End in London. I would love to get another lead role. And it would be great to get in film and TV.

What advice do you have for aspiring actors and actresses?
Work hard, keep practicing don’t be critical of others make sure your critical of yourself, people criticize others but don’t look at their own self, be open to taking on criticism about yourself, because it can really help.
It is also important to understand that judgments will be made purely based on physical looks when it comes to whether or not a person is chosen for a role. Even though the talents is there, the look may not be right. Do not take it personally, just always understand that this is how the industry works!

Gretel mentioned that audiences have been enjoying Grease so much and that the show opens in Adelaide on the 3rd of August and ends on the 31st of August with 8 shows a week from Wednesday to Sunday. Tickets can be purchased at BASS. Gretel also has an album coming out soon….so follow 'Gretel Scarlett' on Instagram to find out more details!

I finished the interview of by asking Gretel what she was looking forward to getting up to when she gets to Adelaide. Apart from doing the show, she said that she Love's coming to Adelaide, and can't wait to visit goodies and grains at the Central Market, Haigh’s, and Glenelg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment