Friday, June 6, 2014

Meet the lovely Yelp lady!

What is your current position/job description? 

Community Manager and Adelaide representative for  Yelp.com.au - I am also known as the "Yelp Lady"



How did you get to the position you are in now?

It really came down to Luck and chance! So the story goes; A friend of mine in Brisbane met the National rep for Yelp, she had asked my friend if she knew anyone in Adelaide that would be able to be the Adelaide rep, my friend told her to get in contact with me because "I know a lot of people".
So she got in contact with me, we met, she asked me who I would suggest for the position, I mentioned a few names, but by the end of our conversation she said that I should apply, she sent me the job description, I applied and got the job!


 
What are the opportunities that have opened up for you within this position?
 
Meeting amazing people – Adelaidians don’t talk themselves up, there are so many amzing people doing great things here and we should talk about it....through Yelp I get to do that! I get to connect with business owners, hear their inspirational stories and share them.
Networking – Because of my marketing background, I was going to lots of marketing networking events, but now through Yelp I have been able to mix with and get to know people from so many different industries

 


 
Where do you see yourself or what do you want to be doing in 5 years?
 
I want to be telling peoples stories, connecting business owners with the community and connecting various industries.....so much greatness can happen when people come together!
I would also like to be doing a business which involves event management/marketing and working with small business.
Further down the track, I would like to work more around Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), which involves connecting small businesses with the community and not for profit sector strategically.

What advice do you have or can you give to young people who want to get into a position similar to yours?

Networking, Getting Experience, Volunteering.
Say yes to any opportunity that presents itself even if its unpaid.
Work/volunteer during your time at uni…build your resume early!!!!
Get experience doing different things,  these days we need to be 'slashies' (having skills in various areas) it gives you a competitive edge when appoaching potential employers and/or adds to your skill set which will be beneficial for you in any venture.

Your best tip or trick to keep a job like yours?

Knowing people – building relationships, Your benefical to them and vice versa, Always remember you do business with people not with product!

No comments:

Post a Comment